Window installation: go through a professional
If you are an expert in DIY, you can ask your own windows or attach a door jamb
Otherwise, go with a pro: you are guaranteed to get the job done. The installation by a professional is ultra fast: count 1 hour per window with a very clean site.
Installing your windows by a pro – advantages: quality, speed, cleanliness, 5.5% VAT
Quality: the quality of the installation is as important as the quality of the window
Clean: clean site, just a vacuum cleaner blow to go after
Speed: 1 hour per window
Financial benefits: 5.5% VAT on materials if your home has more than 2 years and tax credit up to 25%;
Not necessarily more expensive if you install your windows yourself;
Insurance covering mostly damages caused during installation;
Guarantees related to the facility.
Window installation: 2 types of providers
To install your windows, you can choose between two types of professionals:
The specialized manufacturers:
Excellent quality with very good price because they are manufactured in large series.
Wide range of materials, glazing, forms… They provide the bulk of the market.
Artisans are the key contact for the manufacture of customized windows.
This option is more expensive but guarantees a highly personalized work.
Window tax credit
To install your windows, you can enjoy significant tax benefits, thanks to the tax credit for the energy transition.
The Finance Act 2015 has amended the tax credit on Sustainable Development (ICSD). It was replaced by a tax credit for the energy transition (CITE) for work performed on 1 September 2014.
Renovation Tax Credit: Conditions
The tax credit allows you, under certain conditions, to charge your taxes on current income for the year a portion of your expenses for the purchase of materials for the thermal insulation of your home.
The tax credit can be applied in particular to buy windows. It concerns owners, tenants and occupants for free.
- The tax credit applies only on primary residences.
- The residence must be completed for at least 2 years.
- The window installation must be performed by the company that provides them.
- This professional should provide you with an itemized bill.
Asked the windows must have a coefficient of thermal insulation Uw lower or equal to:
- 3 W / m²K if Sw is greater than or equal to 0.3;
- 7 W / m²K if Sw is greater than or equal to 0.36;
- 5 W / m²K for roof windows if Sw is less than or equal to 0.36.
Amount and ceilings of the tax credit: up to € 16,000
Ceilings of the tax credit for the energy transition (e.g. sustainable development)
The amount of expenses eligible for the tax credit is capped:
- € 8,000 for a single person;
- € 16,000 for a couple filing a joint tax return;
- € 400 extra per dependent;
This limit is valid for five consecutive years, located between 1 January 2005 and 31 December 2015. A taxpayer who realizes expenditures over 5 years apart can benefit ceiling twice.
If you do not pay tax, the state will refund the entire amount. If the tax credit exceeds the amount of your taxes, the excess will be refunded.
The tax credit is calculated after deduction of grants and subsidies received elsewhere (Anah, etc.).
Sustainable development tax credit: 15 or 25%
This tax credit applies on the work that was carried out between 1 January 2014 and 1 September 2014.
Sustainable development tax credit is increased in case of realization of a work package in an existing housing: 25% instead of 15%.
Moreover, the means test is not applied in case of bunch of work.
The work and housekeeping benefit of the increase in cases of bouquet, that is to say sales in at least two of the following categories:
- Acquisition of insulation materials glass walls;
- Acquisition and installation of thermal insulation materials opaque walls, for insulation of walls;
- Acquisition and installation of thermal insulation materials opaque walls, for insulation of roofs;
- Acquisition of boiler or heating equipment or hot water production running on wood or other biomass;
- Acquisition of hot water equipment using a renewable energy source;
- Acquisition of condensing boiler, gas micro-CHP boiler or energy production equipment using a renewable energy source or heat pump.